Wednesday, May 13, 2015

CHEATIN' Tour, Part 5

The next stop on my CHEATIN' tour was Columbus, Ohio.  I flew there from Portland, and after so many cities in a row, it was tough to leave my hometown of Portland, but also nice to be getting close to returning to New York.  In Columbus the Gateway Film Center had a special Monday night screening of CHEATIN', followed by a meet-and-greet with members of their local film club.

As part of the publicity materials for the theaters, I had signed 10 prints of art from my film, and we told each theater that they could use them however they wanted to promote the film - they could raffle them off, they could give them to the first 10 people in the door, whatever they thought would get the most attention.  In Columbus, they gave away the prints to members of this Film Club - I'm glad that clubs like this exist to appreciate movies, so check out the cinemas in your area to see if you can join one!  You never know what you'll get out of it.

After Columbus, I came back home to NY, to a big pile of e-mail and some interview requests, but just a few days later I was on the train up to Boston, for the opening night screening at the Brattle Theater.  There was a great crowd at the Brattle, especially considering that "Avengers: Age of Ultron" was opening that same day.  Maybe that film got sold out and people came to see CHEATIN' instead, I don't know.  But people waited in a long line after the show to get sketches from me, which I always appreciate.

I remember one trip I took up to Boston back when my film "Mondo Plympton" was playing in theaters, and there was a huge snowstorm that day, plus there was a Bugs Bunny festival playing in another theater across town, so very few people came out to my show.  This trip to Boston was a lot better, so that's progress.

                                      Doing a Q&A session at the Brattle Theater in Boston.

Finally, I took a trip up to Rochester, NY, arranged by Peter Murphey at RIT.  I've been up to RIT before, they have a great animation department.  I did two presentations at the school on Wednesday, one was more about the artistic side of making animation, and the other was more about the business aspects of it, like how to survive as an independent animator. 

My thanks to Maxwell Harvey-Sampson for taking such great photos of my lectures at RIT.

The next night, I appeared at the Little Theatre in Rochester, which is another of these cool little indie cinemas that you should definitely check out if you're in the area.  They screened CHEATIN' and I did the Q&A session afterwards, and once again people lined up to get their sketches.  I definitely felt like a rock-star after making so many appearances around the country! 

                                         The crowd at the Little Theatre after the screening

But that sort of brought me to a break the tour.  Not really the end, because we're already setting up the next leg, with screenings in Philadelphia and Washington DC at the end of July (stay tuned for details).  If I didn't make it to your city this time around, please let me know, or contact your local theater and tell them they can still book CHEATIN' this summer by e-mailing me or my staff.

Right now, I need to get back to animating some new projects, and answering some of my mail.  Plus we have to get ready for San Diego Comic-Con, which is really right around the corner. 

Meanwhile, check out my Kickstarter campaign for "Revengeance", we've only got a few days left to make our goal, and we recently added some new rewards, including a whole bunch of original animation art from some of my most classic films!  Please take a look, here's a link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/billplympton/bill-plymptons-revengeance-an-animated-feature-fil

No comments:

Post a Comment