Wednesday, April 10, 2013

MOCCA 2013



I've been telling everyone about the great MOCCA arts festival, well I was just there this weekend and I want to report on the event. First, it was much more professional this year. Everyone was so nice, countless times I had volunteers come up to me and ask if I needed anything.

Also they had a super art exhibition; wonderful art from T.S. Sullivant, Milton Caniff to Harvey Kurtzman and Bill Griffith. The array of artwork was spectacular.

The Special Guest this year was Bill Griffith of Zappy the Pinhead. I met him long ago on one of my visits to San Fransisco in the 80's, so it was great to see him again.

The panels were excellent; J. J. Sedelmaier, Anelle Miller, Nora Krug, Arnold Roth and Peter de Seve talked about Illustration.

And then I headed a panel on animation with Signe Baumane and Joy and Noelle Vaccesse. It was a packed house and the curious thing about out table was the women were much more ribald and salacious Than I was, I must be getting old.

In any case it was a fabulous time I got to see so many great artists Charles Burns, Peter Kuper and Jules Feiffer.

Another great feature of this two day event is that its strictly for the independent artists, no Marvel, DC Comics or Disney, so you can discover the next rising talent.

I want to profoundly thank Anelle Miller and Dennis Dietrich and everyone at the Society of Illustrators for organizing such a great event.

Be sure to order a table for next year, you'll be glad you did!

-Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment