Monday, September 12, 2011

John Singer Sargent Murals in Boston..


I was lucky enough to grow up near some of the best art in the world. Class trips to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) in Boston showed me an extensive collection of some of my now favorite painters, including Winslow Homer and John Singer Sargent (I didn't fully appreciate this at the time). Furthermore, I used to skateboard outside the Boston Public Library in Copley Square, which was quite possibly my first ever exposure to John Singer Sargent.  I was recently reminded of these browsing one of my favorite blogs, Lines and Colors.

Sargent's murals for the Boston Public Library, and murals for Harvard University’s Widener Library and those in the MFA are truly stunning, and not typical for the artist.




These murals are Sargent’s largest works. He's not generally known as a muralist, and furthermore these pieces are out of context to his other bodies of work both in technique and subject. Enjoy.

1 comment: