Monday, January 31, 2011

Past Due - The Sad Oscar News...

Well sad to say, "The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger" was not nominated for an Oscar. I'm very depressed – I had such high hopes. People said it was a sure thing to get nominated and the mistake I made was I started to believe it. When I got the news I was surprised and hurt.


Although it shouldn't shock me that the "Cow" film wasn't selected, all the films that were had million dollar budgets while the Cow film came in at around $7,000, and it was the only traditionally animated 2D film in a crowd of CG films.


The depressing part is that this Spring I have a lot of projects that could have used the extra publicity of a nomination:

  1. My Rizzoli book, "Independently Animated: Bill Plympton" is being released in April and I'm planning a small book tour.

  2. My new animated feature "Cheatin'" is looking for investors or distributors.

  3. I'm also working on an animated series, "Tiffany the Whale", that needs some financial assistance.


All these projects would have benefited greatly from the added publicity that comes with an Academy Nomination. So I guess I'll have to slog it out the traditional way without the Oscar prestige. In any case, all the shorts that were nominated are wonderful films and deserve to be there. I've got to go now, because I need to make a short for next year's Academy race.


See you soon,

Bill

5 comments:

  1. If I could Bill, I'd take you out for a good stiff drink. Thanks for keeping traditional animation in the public's eye. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's always next year, I guess.

    And whoa! A series? Is this for television or internet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sympathy for you Bill. Don't worry, you are lucky you have a big community of fans around the world and I'm sure you'll know who they are when you do the book tour. You'll do fine, cheer up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger is a beautiful film. I was very inspired by it. Here's to underdogs like you Bill! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always feel bad when my film gets rejected by festivals .. you start to think its about the budget and the medium ... my film is a 2d film that cost considerably less than your cow short .. no crew just me and the guy who let me use his music track ... I'm waiting to hear if it was accepted at another festival ... I stopped trying to think about it these days as it only depresses me .. it was shown at BAF tho' but lost out to a film called 'stupid table' ... oh well .. we all have to keep our chins ups

    ReplyDelete