Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tangled Review- Bill



They say that “Tangled”, the new animated feature from Disney will be the last fairy tale princess film from the studio that Walt built. I don't know if that's true or not, but I rushed out to see the well-reviewed film to see if they succeeded in creating a charming, old-style fairytale.

Two years ago, I remember visiting the Disney Studios and running into my buddy and master animator Glen Keane, and he showed me some animation from his new feature, then called “Rapunzel”. For some reason, they removed Glen from the film and changed the title to “Tangled”. I'm very happy to say it's an excellent movie and great entertainment.

Some problems I had were the use of Broadway show tunes music (like they can hardly wait to put it on the Great White Way) Also, there's a little too much dialogue in the film, especially at the ending. But the thing that really bugged me was the huge anime eyes that were placed on all the characters, even the comic star horse's head.

The parts that I loved the best were the bad guys in the roadside restaurant and the climactic chase across the castle walls. And aside from the eyes, the designs were excellent. Overall, I give Tangled an 8 out of 10 – especially in 3D, I recommend you go see it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review Bill! :)

    I agree with you on the songs, they just felt forced into the film rather than a part of it. Compared to the likes of Aladdin, they really stilt the flow of the story, which is a bit of a shame really.

    I'm not so sure about the eyes though. I didn't find too much of an issue with them and I think they actually suit the overall style of the film quite well, especially in the way they are used to display emotion in the characters. In that regard, I think the animators did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film was originally titled and marketed as Rapunzel until it was changed to Tangled shortly before its release. it was the favorite movie of my daughter in 2010. in general reviews the movie was good , with an average score of 7.5/10

    ReplyDelete