Wednesday, November 10, 2010

LA, the Lost Weekend - Part 1

After the big success of Idiots and Angels in NYC, I was very excited about opening at the Laemmle Sunset 5 on October 29th. I felt that it would be a huge success, given the NYC success, and the fact that LA is an animation town. Also, two articles were planned about the film in the LA Weekly and the LA Times. On top of that, I had two PR agents working the town – I couldn't miss. Upon arrival in LA, I was feeling great. The weather was perfect and I had a great hotel in Studio City (The Days Inn) and a lot of sessions with the industry folks.

My first gig was an ASIFA Hollywood Q&A at Woodbury University with the inimitable Tom Sito. Although it wasn't a packed house, we had a very enthusiastic crowd. Animators Rick Farmiloe, Bill Kroyer, and Antran Manoogian (head of ASIFA Hollywood) came by, plus the original voice of Tinkerbell Margaret Kerry was there. It was a wonderful show.

The next day was a very busy day, I did an early morning appearance on Pepper Jay's Cable TV show, then Ken Mora rushed me to Santa Monica College for a master class for the art and animation students – it was a packed house. That night, I appeared at the great Amoeba Superstore where a live rockabilly band The Sidewynders played a set as I joined them on stage to do a live group cartoon portrait. Afterwords I sold “Hair High” DVDs to the gathered crowd. I want to publically thank Cara, who was such a wonderful host at Amoeba, and I'd love to return again.

After that, I rushed to the Aero Cinema in Santa Monica for a screening for Academy members and friends. After the screening, I was joined on stage by my genius music producer, Corey Jackson, for a discussion moderated by Timothy.

As I drove home, I was full of optimism for a big success as “Idiots and Angels” opens the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment